Blind, disabled patient found pregnant at Penryn care home | News
PENRYN, CA - The Placer County Sheriff's Department has begun an investigation at a Penryn ResCare residential facility after a severely developmentally and physically disabled woman turned up six months pregnant.
The 34-year-old woman is also blind.
"We are disturbed by the facts surrounding this case and are conducting a detailed investigation," said sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed.
Investigators are talking to persons of interest in the case, while also running DNA recovered.
Reed would not add much more about the investigation, saying, "In order to protect the integrity of the investigation and the victim herself, we are limited on what we can say at this time."
Employees at the facility refused to talk to reporters, but a spokeswoman tried to answer some questions.
Federal law and company policy prohibited her from discussing the patient or employees. She did say, "After we became aware of the situation, we immediately self-reported to the police along with other regulatory agencies."
A neighbor was disgusted by the possibilities.
"It would be absolutely unacceptable behavior as a neighbor, or anywhere else, to have something like that go on with a care giver who is entrusted to providing care to somebody who is disabled," said Jim Reid.
The California Department of Public Health, which oversees care homes, has also launched its own investigation.
According to public health officials, if the probe warrants it, they can fine the home, appoint a temporary manager or go as far as revoking the home's license permanently.
No one was able to discuss the mental capacity of the patient, therefore another explanation for the pregnancy is possible.
By Nick Monacelli, firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Events near Auburn / Grass Valley
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- D.A.: No charges for Manteca pastor in Vegas man's 2013 death
- A man was suspected of using counterfeit cards to buy more than $500 worth of Applebee's gift cards
- Reader Showcase // A Swingset for Two
- Ripon police chief takes down armed robbery suspect
- Lathrop army depot considered as temporary home for undocumented kids
- Free DIY Furniture Plans // How to Build a Modern Adirondack Ottoman
- Rim Fire suspect formally charged
- Man charged with starting Rim Fire surrenders
- “Life on the Go Kit”: How to Keep Your Bag Organized and Ready to go From Work to Wine Dates
- Son in family found dead in Turlock had stabbed parents said police.