10 unique ways to shop small on Saturday | News
SACRAMENTO - With the majority of Small Business Saturday attention going to retail, we wanted to provide some other ways you can contribute to local business and support the local economy.
Following are 10 types of small businesses that would make excellent shopping destinations and surely appreciate your business this Small Business Saturday:
1. Contractors - Painters, plumbers, electricians, builders, handymen, landscapers and the like are all local company types that could use a boost this holiday season. Whether you finally take care of those house tasks, or you get someone a truly outside- the-box gift in the form of a painted room or a fixed leaky faucet, spending with contractors on Saturday is a great option.
2. Artists/Art Galleries - Small or large, the gift of paintings, sculptures, or decorations are always appreciated at the holidays.
3. Farmers Market Stands - Hit the Davis Farmer's market on Saturday, or another market in your area and pick up some fruit, vegetables, cheese, baked goods or other fresh and delicious products. Then enjoy the fruits of your local landscape with a wonderful meal or snack.
4. Local Breweries - While we've all got our favorite brews, why not head into one of the region's local breweries and pick up a six pack, a growler, or a cold pint. Many breweries sell food too, so you could make a lunch break of it in between shopping spots. Hoppy Brewing Company, Rubicon Brewing, Jack Russell Brewery, Lockdown Brewing, Track 7, Bike Dog Brewing and American River Brewing Co. are a few local ale artisans waiting to quench your holiday shopping thirst.
5. Vineyards/Wineries - Here's a tip: Wine makes a great gift...and it's one of the few that rarely goes to waste (unlike those argyle socks or tacky Christmas ties). Head up to Placerville or out to Napa and Sonoma, do a little tasting, and bring back a few bottles for friends or colleagues.
6. Christmas Tree Farms - While you're up in Amador County picking up that wine, why not cut down your own Christmas tree? It's a fun day for everyone and puts money back into California rather than sending it off to massive farms in Oregon.
7. Coffee Shops - What! And give up my Starbucks! Yes, give up your mass-produced java for a day and sample one of the hundreds of quaint coffee shops in Midtown, Folsom, Roseville, Arden, Auburn, or any other area in the valley. Who knows, you may find a favorite new brew.
8. Bookstores - Stray from the caverns of Barnes & Noble to a cozy corner bookstore where you'll find the same books, and an ever-friendly shopkeeper who's always up for some good book banter. New and used bookstores are scattered around the area.
9. Sporting Goods Stores - Yes, there are sporting goods stores other than Sports Authority. Davis has a few, as does Midtown, Elk Grove and Citrus Heights. If you or someone you know needs a new pair of shoes, shorts, or a replica jersey from a pro team, give the underdog sporting goods stores a chance to win your business.
10. Local Restaurants/Bakeries - Whether its fine dining, a juicy burger, or a fresh-baked pastry, there is a local eatery looking to earn your repeat business nearby. It might be more comfortable to hit the local Chili's where you've memorized the menu, but why not check out that little place you've been meaning to try? You know, the one you drive by every day and think to yourself, "I should try that place sometime." You'll probably be surprised by the difference in attention you receive and the quality and care that goes into the food you're served.
These 10 small business types are great locations in addition to the obvious retail shops. Dig into your creative stores and see how you can stimulate your local economy by shopping small.
Upcoming Events near Auburn / Grass Valley
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The Downtown Lodi harvest menu, and becoming the 2014 SIP SAVOR Wine Tasting Champion
- Mettler Family’s Aglianico is a harbinger of many great wine grapes to come
- bed bug complaint closes lodi theater for 2nd day
- Possible Bed Bug infestation causes Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas to close
- Appreciating Zinfandels (especially from Lodi) like a sommelier
- 1 arrested, 1 hospitalized in roommate fight over dirty dishes
- D.A.: No charges for Manteca pastor in Vegas man's 2013 death
- A man was suspected of using counterfeit cards to buy more than $500 worth of Applebee's gift cards
- Reader Showcase // A Swingset for Two
- Ripon police chief takes down armed robbery suspect